PSAT Sample Questions ›› Writing Skills Section : Improving Sentences Questions
PSAT Sample Questions
Writing Skills Section : PSAT Sample Improving Sentences Questions
PSAT Sample Improving Sentences questions ask you to choose the best, most effective form of an underlined portion of a given sentence.
Here are some general hints for Improving Sentences.
- Read the entire sentence carefully but quickly. Note the underlined portion because that is the portion that may have to be revised.
- Remember that the portion with no underline stays the same.
- Mark choice (A) if the underlined portion seems correct. Check the other choices quickly to make sure that (A) is really the best choice.
- Think of how you would revise the underlined portion if it seems wrong. Look for your revision among the choices given.
- Replace the underlined portion of the sentence with choices (B) through (E) if you don't find your revision. Concentrate on the choices that seem clear and exact when you read them.
PSAT Sample Improving Sentence Question Number : 1-5 | 6-10 | 11-15 | 16-20 | 21-25 | 26-30 | 31-35 | 36-40 | 41-45 | 46-50 | 51-55 | 56-60 | 61-65 | 66-70 | 71-75 | 76-80 | 81-84
- Researchers at Cornell University have demonstrated that homing pigeons can sense changes in the earth's magnetic field, see light waves that people cannot see, detect low-frequency sounds from miles away, sense changes in air pressure, and can identify familiar odors.
- sense changes in air pressure, and can identify familiar odors
- can sense changes in air pressure, and can identify familiar odors
- sense changes in air pressure, and identify familiar odors
- air pressure changes can be sensed, and familiar odors identified
- air pressure changes are sensed, and familiar odors identified
Answer : C
- In ancient times, Nubia was the principal corridor where there were cultural influences transmitted between Black Africa and the Mediterranean basin.
- where there were cultural influences transmitted
- through which cultural influences were transmitted
- where there was a transmission of cultural influences
- for the transmitting of cultural influences
- which was transmitting cultural influences
Answer : B
- It is a special feature of cell aggregation in the developing nervous system that in most regions of the brain the cells not only adhere to one another and also adopt some preferential orientation.
- to one another and also adopt
- one to the other, and also they adopt
- one to the other, but also adopting
- to one another but also adopt
- to each other, also adopting
Answer : D
- Among the reasons for the decline of New England agriculture in the last three decades were the high cost of land, the pressure of housing and commercial development, and basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California.
- basing a marketing and distribution system on importing produce from Florida and California
- basing a marketing and distribution system on the imported produce of Florida and California
- basing a system of marketing and distribution on the import of produce from Florida and California
- a marketing and distribution system based on importing produce from Florida and California
- a marketing and distribution system importing produce from Florida and California as its base
Answer : D
- Like Byron at Missolonghi, Jack London was slowly killed by the mistakes of the medical men who treated him.
- Like Byron
- Like Byron's death
- Just as Byron died
- Similar to Byron
- As did Byron
Answer : A