Sample Questions Best site for GRE, LSAT, SAT, GMAT, TOEFL, CCNA, CCSA and interview sample questions  
GMAT Sample Questions » GMAT Sample Problem Soving Ability

Quantitative Section : GMAT Sample Problem Solving Ability

Select the correct answer from the given five options by solving the following questions.

  1. Out of the two candidates who were standing against each other for the post of an MLA, one of them got 40 % of the total number of vote and the other who won the election got the remaining 60% of all the votes. The defeated candidate got 460 votes less than the number of votes secured by the winner of the election. Find out the total number of votes and the total number of votes gained by the winner of the election.

    1. 966, 2300
    2. 2300, 966
    3. 1380, 2300
    4. 2300, 1380
    5. None of the above

    Correct answer: d

    Explanation:

    Suppose the total number of votes = 100

    Then, 40% of total number of 100 votes = 40 = number of votes secured by the loser.

    And, 60% of total number of 100 votes = 60 = number of votes secured by the winner.

    ∴ Difference in the votes secured by the two candidates = 60 40 = 20.

    Hence, we can say that, for total number of votes equal to 100, the difference in the votes earned by the two is equal to 20.

    ∴ According to the data given in the question, the actual difference of votes between the candidates is = 460

    ∴ Total number of votes earned by the two candidates = 460*100/20 = 2300

    But, we also to find out the number of votes secured by the winner.

    It is given that the winner secured 60% of the total number of votes.

    ∴ 60% of 2300 = 60*2300/100 = 1380

    Hence, the correct answer is option d.

  2. If a - b = 3 and a2 - b2 = 25, then find the sum of both the variables 'a' and 'b'.

    1. 8.6
    2. 3.5
    3. 2.4
    4. 8.33
    5. 3.88

    Correct answer: d

    Explanation:

    We know the standard algebraic formula for (a)2 (b)2

    (a)2 (b)2 = (a + b) (a b)

    Now, according to the data given in the question, a - b = 3 and a2 - b2 = 25.

    Substituting these values in above equation, we get,

    25 = (a + b) (3)

    ∴ (a + b) = 25/3

    ∴ a + b = 8.3333

    Hence, the correct answer is option d.

  3. If x + y = 6 and x2 + y2 = 30, then find the product of both the variables 'x' and 'y'.

    1. 6
    2. 36
    3. 2
    4. 5
    5. 3

    Correct answer: e

    Explanation:

    We know the standard algebraic formula for (x+y)2

    (x+y)2 = x2 + 2xy + y2

    Now, according to the data given in the question, x + y = 6 and x2 + y2 = 30

    Substituting these values in above equation, we get,

    (6)2 = 30 + 2xy

    ∴ 36 30 = 2xy

    ∴ 6 = 2xy

    ∴ xy = 3

    Hence, the correct answer is option e.

  4. If f(x) = 4(x + 2), then what will be the value of f(3)?

    1. 20
    2. 30
    3. 40
    4. 10
    5. None of the above

    Correct answer: a

    Explanation:

    According to the data given in the question, f(x) = 4(x + 2)

    We have to find out the value of f(3).

    ∴ Substituting, x = 3 in the equation for f(x), we get,

    f(3) = 4(3 + 2)

    ∴ f(3) = 4(5) = 20

    Hence, f(3) = 20

    Hence, the correct answer is option a.

  5. Find the value of g(2,3) if g(x,y) = x2 + y2/ x+y

    1. 12/5
    2. 11/12
    3. 13/12
    4. 5/12
    5. 13/5

    Correct answer: e

    Explanation:

    According to the data given in the question g(x,y) = x2 + y2/ x+y

    We have to find the value of the function g(2,3).

    Substituting x=2 and y=3 in the given definition of the function 'g', we get,

    g(2,3) = (2)2 + (3)2 / (2 + 3)

    ∴ g(2,3) = (4) + (9)/ (5) = 13/5

    Hence, the correct answer is option e.

 || 

GMAT Sample Problem Solving Ability Question Number : 1-5 | 6-10 | 11-15 | 16-20 | 21-25 | 26-30 | 31-35 | 36-40 | 41-45 | 46-50 | 51-55 | 56-60 | 61-65 | 66-70 | 71-75 | 76-80 | 81-85 | 86-90 | 91-95 | 96-100 | 101-105 | 106-110 | 111-115 | 116-120 | 121-125
Sample Test Questions
GRE Sample Questions
CAT Sample Questions
GMAT Sample Questions
TOEFL Sample Questions
ACT Sample Questions
SAT Sample Questions
LSAT Sample Questions
PSAT Sample Questions
MCAT Sample Questions
PMP Sample Questions
GED Sample Questions
ECDL Sample Questions
DMV Sample Questions
CCNA Sample Questions
MCSE Sample Questions
Network+ Sample Questions
A+ Sample Questions
Technical Sample Questions
WASL Sample Questions
CISA Sample Questions

Other Sample Questions
Sample Interview Questions
Sample Teacher Interview Questions
Sample Citizenship Questions
Accuplacer Sample Questions
Science Bowl sample Questions
Driving Test Sample Questions
Sample Survey Questions Sample Essay Questions
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions

Copyright © 2004-2013, Best BSQ. All Rights Reserved.