Accuplacer Sample Questions » Accuplacer Reading Comprehension » Accuplacer Narrative Questions
Accuplacer Reading Comprehension Sample Questions : Narrative Questions
« Previous || Next »
- With varying success, many women around the world today struggle for equal rights. Historically, women have achieved greater equality with men during periods of social adversity. Three of the following factors initiated the greatest number of improvements for women: violent revolution, world war, or the rigors of pioneering in an underdeveloped land. In all three cases, the essential element that improved the status of women was a shortage of men, which required women to perform many of society's vital tasks.
We can conclude from the information in this passage that
- women today are highly successful in winning equal rights.
- only pioneer women have been considered equal to men.
- historically, women have only achieved equality through force.
- historically, the principle of equality alone has not been enough to secure women equal rights.
- All water molecules form six-sided structures as they freeze and become snow crystals. The shape of the crystal is determined by temperature, vapor, and wind conditions in the upper atmosphere. Snow crystals are always symmetrical because these conditions affect all six sides simultaneously.
The purpose of the passage is to present
- a personal observation.
- a solution to a problem.
- actual information.
- opposing scientific theories.
- The ultimate source of energy for all plants and animals is sunlight. But the sun's energy can be harnessed by plants, through photosynthesis, and stored in molecules of carbohydrates. When animals eat these enzymes, large amounts of energy become available. Animals immediately convert this energy into molecules of high-energy ATP (adenosine triphosphate) the universal currency of energy in living things. Excluding only the very first stages in carbohydrate breakdown, which are called clycolysis, the entire complicated process of energy transfer at ATP takes place within the mitochondria.
Clycolysis refers to
- The initial stages of carbohydrate breakdown.
- The process of plants producing oxygen and carbohydrates.
- The production of ATP.
- The production of body heat which occurs in the mitochondria.
- Plastics are synthetic materials that are so common today that we barely notice them. The process of making plastics, called polymerization, is a little over a hundred years old. Vinyl chloride was polymerized in 1848, acrylics in 1843 and polyester in 1847. Oddly, those newly synthesized plastics languished in polymer laboratories for decades because no one had yet found a use for the new materials.
We can see from the information in this passage that
- People had no need for plastics in the 1800's.
- Commercial use of a material does not always rapidly follow its discovery.
- The introduction of plastics in the 1800's would have upset the world economy.
- No practical types of plastics were invented until the twentieth century.
Accuplacer Narrative Question Number : 1-4 | 5-8 | 9-12